Please note that information provided about the programme and accommodation is subject to change due to weather conditions, maintenance requirements and other circumstances
Where can I find a copy of the course programme?
- You can view an example of the course programme by clicking here. A copy can be emailed to you prior to the course commencing.
What is the arrival procedure?
- Airport arrival – your child will be met by one of our staff wearing Malvern College T-shirt with STAFF printed on the back. The staff member will be holding a sign with your child’s name or group name printed on.
- Malvern College arrival – if you plan to drop your child at the college then you will be met by our summer staff at the main entrance. Times and details will be agreed on beforehand.
How will my child be assessed for their English lessons?
- Students are tested on arrival to assess their English level and ability. They are then placed in a class suited to their ability level. Each class has around 12 students. Students do not need to prepare anything for their lessons.
What sort of accommodation will my child be staying in?
- All students stay in our newer style boarding houses in single, twin or triple bedrooms which are all en-suite. Our pastoral staff are also resident in the boarding house to ensure a high level of pastoral care.
Do you provide a laundry service?
- Yes – we can provide a weekly laundry service. Details of the service are outlined on arrival. We recommend students not to bring expensive or very delicate items of clothing to go in the laundry service.
What does my child need to bring?
- Our Summer weather can be quite changeable from hot sunny days to rain. If your child is used to very hot weather we recommend layers of clothing so they can adjust. We also advise that they bring clothes for wet weather conditions.
- Our dress code is casual but students may wish to bring something more formal for our awards evening and Scottish evening in Edinburgh (if attending the extended part of the course).
- Malvern College is set on a large campus so please bring sensible and comfortable footwear. We also do a lot of walking so a good pair of walking shoes is essential.
- Swimming and sporting activities are included in the course schedule so please bring suitable clothing including a swimming costume if your child wishes to swim.
- We provide towels for students in the boarding house but ask you to please provide an extra towel for swimming.
Will my child need pocket money?
- The course fee paid fully covers everything for your child whilst they are with us.
- Should your child wish to purchase souvenirs, sweets and any extra refreshments then we would recommend no more than £50 per week.
- Our staff will keep their pocket money safe and together with their passport and flight tickets during their stay.
Can my child bring their mobile phone?
- From experience, we have found that our students get much more from our courses when they are not distracted by their mobile phones. Consequently, whilst students are welcome to bring their mobile phones on the course, we will collect in all phones on arrival and will return them at the end of the course so students focus can remain firmly on their lessons and activities. We will, of course, ensure students are able to call home if need be.
Who can I contact in an emergency?
- If you need to contact us in an emergency please call +44(0)7827335843. This is our summer school emergency number and will be answered by the Course Director or one of his/her staff.
- For routine enquiries, during the working day, you are welcome to call the Malvern College Events office on +44 1684 581640 or 581616 or email: email@example.com
What is the departure procedure?
- Airport departure – your child will be escorted to the airport on a coach and we will then see them through to passport control. We are unable to escort them further than this.
- If your child is registered as an Unaccompanied Minor with their airline we will check them in with the airline staff. Please provide us with details of any arrangements in regard to this.
- Pick up from College – please advise in advance if you plan to collect your child from the college so we can make the necessary arrangements.